The Swartberg is the mightiest mountain range in the Western Cape, with peaks up to 2400 metres, fantastic ravines, gorges and poorts, amazing mountain passes, lost corners and a history as rich as its flora and fauna. The mountains frame the northern edge of the Klein-Karoo, their mighty peaks and slopes dark and swart against the northering sun.
As an former pilot and rampant traveller, now a dirt road bike rider, I have graduated from carrying a number of map books and GPS to relying 100% on Slingsby maps in the Cape. There are very few navigable tracks which are not shown on these maps, and the link to topography makes them just so much more interesting to use. Thank goodness you have brought out the Swartberg and Klein Karoo. Thanks for great value products! -- Rob Wilson
The mountains and the Klein-Karoo provide a playground for tourists -- there are ostrich farms, wildlife parks, the Cango caves, endless fascination for explorers, and a richness of facilities and activities that's as good as you could find anywhere.
This is the first detailed map ever produced for the area; may it guide you on many an exciting journey of discovery.
This double-sided, full-relief map covers, at a scale of 1:160 000, the entire Swartberg mountain range from west to east. North of the mountains the towns of Laingsburg, Prince Albert and Willowmore are included; through the Klein-Karoo the major towns are Ladismith, Calitzdorp, Oudtshoorn and De Rust. The southern boundary of the map is defined by the northern slopes of the Langeberg-Outeniqua range, with towns Barrydale, Vanwyksdorp, George and Uniondale.
- All roads from National Highways to minor gravel roads are shown; the many classifications that indicate the quality of each road help you plan your route.
- No less than 28 mountain passes are shown -- all are public roads!
Distances are clearly shown; comprehensive 4 x 4 information.
- GPS coordinates in DD MM SS format are provided for every road-junction.
- All tourism facilities and accommodation establishments are shown in the out-of-town areas; there are insets of the major towns.
- The map links to our maps of the Baviaanskloof, the Garden Route, Overberg and the Tankwa-Karoo.